Since there's so many different types of chiropractors to choose from, a referral may be your best way to find a good chiropractor. Google and Yelp reviews are also a very good resources to view a chiropractors reputation. Below are my top recommendations for finding a good chiropractor based on my experience of referring patients to other chiropractors around the country.
1. Find a happy customer who can refer you to their chiropractor.
2. Find a chiropractor with at least 3 years of experience.
Chiropractors with over 3 years experience have adjusted enough people to develop the skills, experience and practice intuition to deliver higher quality service.
3. Find a chiropractor who has access to x-rays.
Not all chiropractors will have x-ray equipment in their office, but with image companies popping up everywhere x-rays can be taken inexpensively. Your chiropractor will be able to access your need for x-rays and if needed are helpful in evaluating your biomechanics. X-rays will reveal the location and extent of the subluxation (misalignment of the spine). If you have x-rays from a previous chiropractor ask if they'd be helpful.
4. Find and alumni of Palmer College of Chiropractic or Life University. These are the largest, most reputable and prestigious chiropractic colleges in the world. You can call these colleges for a list of alumni who are practicing in your area. You can also use the links below:
Palmer College of Chiropractic - Find a Chiropractor
Life College of Chiropractic - Find a Chiropractor
5. Call the chiropractors you're interested in seeing and ask the questions above. You can even ask for an evaluation. If your intuition tells you it's a good fit, then more times than not you're intuition is usually on. If not, keep interviewing for a chiropractor who you think will serve your needs.
Good luck! To a healthier, happier life through chiropractic!
About the author:
Dr. Gordon Fimreite, is clinical director at Chiropractic In Chicago Loop. He is state and board certified in chiropractic and graduated from Palmer College of Chiropractic, the founding college of the chiropractic profession and the first such college in the world. Dr. Fimreite is author of 15 Steps to Healthy Living, which is currently available at Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Dr. Fimreite and Chiropractic in Chicago Loop was honored with, Best Chiropractor in Chicago 2021 and is also featured in Voyage Chicago | Chicago City Guide.
Phone: (312) 888-1707.