"Treat the cause not the effect."
~ Dr. Edward Bach
Instead of treating the symptoms of the flu or cold, work to increase your body's ability to fight it. You do this by fortifying your immune system to do the job it was designed to do: combat microorganisms. By eating the right nutrients, being mentally positive and happy, handling stress, exercising and eliminating toxicities you will boost the immune system to allow your body to work optimally and heal itself. Medication will be largely unnecessary except in a life-saving and life sustaining circumstances.
Here is a list of many ways you can enhance your immune system:
1. Take Supplemental Nutrients
• Vitamin D. Vitamin D has been getting recent attention in major health journals as a major contributor to building a stronger immune system, especially when not getting enough sun exposure.
• Vitamin C. White blood cells may utilize 4 to 6 times the normal rate of vitamin C during a cold or flu (foods: acreola cherry, citrus fruits).
• Vitamin E. Builds a healthier immune system (food: almonds, avocados, spinach, wheat germ oil).
• Airborne or Emergen-C. A blend of vitamins and herbs specific to building a stronger immune system.
• Herbs: Astragalus, Echinacea, Golden Seal.
• Zinc. In the form of amino acid chelated minerals.
• Multi-vitamins and Minerals. Strengthens immunity - think prevention.
• Sterols and Sterolins. Plant “fats” in fruits, vegetables, seeds, and nuts that increase the function of the immune system.
• Probiotics (i.e. acidophilus). The good bacteria that help to detoxify and suppress pathogens and backup the immune system.
• Eat fruits and vegetables: Make sure they’re organic.
2. Eat raw garlic: Perhaps a bit extreme, but this natural antibiotic increases immunity.
3. Drink large amounts of fluids: This will help flush out pathogens.
4. Exercise: Moderate exercise stimulates the disease fighting white blood cells in the body to move from the organs to the bloodstream.
5. Get Chiropractic Adjustments: There are numerous scientific research studies validating the effectiveness of chiropractic on the immune system (the effects of the adjustments are inextricably linked to the nervous system and immune function).
6. Get Sufficient Sleep: You need a good eight hours a night for your body to regenerate and heal.
7. Relax/Meditate: Stress has been proven in many research journals to lower your immunity.
In summary, take action steps to assist your body’s immune system to fight the invading virus or bacteria versus treating the symptoms.
Excerpts from 15 Steps to Healthy Living by Dr. Gordon Fimreite
About the Author:
Dr. Gordon Fimreite, is clinical director at Chiropractic In Chicago Loop. He is state and board certified in chiropractic and graduated from Palmer College of Chiropractic, the founding college of the chiropractic profession and the first such college in the world. Dr. Fimreite is author of 15 Steps to Healthy Living, which is currently available at Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Dr. Fimreite and Chiropractic in Chicago Loop was honored with, Best Chiropractor in Chicago 2019 He is also featured in Voyage Chicago | Chicago City Guide.
Phone: (312) 888-1707 | https://www.DrFimreite.com